How to Increase Your Activity
Here are 10 simple ways to increase your step count during your daily routine:
- Park further away from work, the grocery store, etc.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator, or walk instead of using moving walkways.
- Walk in place while on the phone, watching tv, brushing your teeth, or doing the dishes.
- Find a friend to walk or exercise with and keep each other accountable.
- Take a dog on a walk - walking is not only beneficial to your health, but your furry friends too!
- Be a little unproductive - why try to carry all your groceries in at once, when you can take multiple trips and rack up your steps.
- Use the restroom that is furthest from your office or desk.
- If you use public transportation, get off at the stop before your normal exit and walk to your destination.
- Walk while you wait - whether you are waiting for your kids to finish a lesson or just waiting in the doctor's office, get up and move around!
- Take a walk on your lunch break. Walking during the middle of the day can also help boost your productivity.
Note: It has been recommended that you should take 10,000 steps per day, but that doesn't mean you should. Trying to do too much too fast can backfire and cause physical injuries. If you aren’t currently exercising regularly try aiming for 2,500 - 5,000 steps per day. This may seem like a small number, but it is a good starting point and will be beneficial over time. Once you are comfortable, you can try increasing your steps by 500 and slowly working towards the goal of 10,000.